About Me

My photo
I have to learn how to swim this year. Crikey!

Friday 4 November 2011

Hello Again!

And so I have just enjoyed a lit sparkler before sitting down to write a little more about a Hoosier girl’s new life in Oz.  Maybe this will be a new ritual I do before typing to my fellow Americans. In all honesty, I only have sparklers here on my desk as they are leftovers from Joseph’s birthday.  Many birthday cakes here don a sparkler or two instead of birthday candles. They have birthday candles as well, of course, but the sparklers are sold right next to the candles in the grocery store for birthday cake access.  I missed out on the 4th of July back in Indiana, so I was all up on buying a package of 24 for a buck.  And they last muuuuch longer once lit, too. Not too shabby, I’d say.

The weather hit a new warmth today: 30 degrees Celsius.  That’s, of course, in the upper 80's back in the USA.  It  is nice to finally experience the warmth and greenery of November in Victoria. It is also cause for us to turn the air conditioning on.  Our little bungalow can really heat up in the sun.  We woke up leisurely this Saturday morning and got ready, then hit the Corio market, which has really good prices on anything from fresh produce, flowers,nuts,breads and sausages to work shirts, coffee grinders, lighters, undies and soap.  Many of the vendors looked silly in umbrella hats, but I understood it was probably quite hot under the sun all morning and you could catch a good burn if you don’t try to get some cover.

The produce lady, a tired looking, but happy pregnant lady noticed my American accent and asked where I was from in the US, and so I told her, but she had not heard of Indiana (sigh).  I have learned (or is it learnt?!)to tell people where I am from by how far it is south east of Chicago.  Most people know Chicago from television shows.  However, it is surprising how many people know where Indiana is.  There have been some who have been to the Hoosier state as well…Valpraiso being one of the places on our state map. Another, Indianapolis. That’s about it for Hoosier visitors I have bumped into here in Victoria.  There are really surprisingly large amounts of people here who have travelled abroad and especially to the USA, but mostly the western states, plus NYC and Florida.  They all have spoken about what a great time they have had there and the great people.  I think the American people are quite intrigued with Aussies and give them kind conversations filled with inquiries on Australia, presenting themselves as truly interested in them and treating them well.  At least that is what Joseph and I think.

I also bought, although early, some Christmas cards at the market that were hand-made, which has inspired me to make my own cards for the following year.  It would be too expensive now, to buy all of the materials.  I think it best to collect the materials all through next year, while I see them for a good price.  Things cost so much here.  If something is pricey, they often say it is “quite dear” here. I find many things quite dear here!

And now I am off of this computer to go and see what  Joseph is up to- he has been outside watering roses.  We have access to the most beautiful roses! Yellow, deep reds, Georgia sized peach ones, pink ones and creamy white one with rosy pink edges. I am not used to all of these, so they thrill me each time I walk past them on the way to the car…



Toodles, dear family and friends,

Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment